Studying Abroad at the University of Melbourne, Australia

Duncan Cooper
Monday 12 December 2022

Kiana studies Biology and Psychology and is currently on placement at the University of Melbourne in Australia. Here’s what she has to say about her study abroad experience so far:

Two students in front of Sydney Opera HouseThree students at the beach

I am having a sensational time studying in Australia at the University of Melbourne! As well as studying, I have also travelled within Australia, riding a steam train through the Dandenong Ranges, hiking up Mount Wellington in Tasmania, and visiting Brisbane, stopping in Sydney and the Gold Coast on the way!

Brisbane Sign
Took the bus to Brisbane during our week off. Stopped in Sydney, Gold Coast and Noosa. The 17-hour bus journey from Sydney to The Gold Coast was a great time to get some work done!

I have joined a few local running groups here in Melbourne and completed the Melbourne Marathon in October – it was a humid 42km, but it was incredible! In May I will also be doing the Great Ocean Road Ultra Marathon (a 60km marathon!). I am planning to use the marathon to raise money for charity; my goal is to raise around £500 for a Scottish charity and $300 for an Australian charity.

Koala Bear
Phillip Island Koala Conservation Reserve and Phillip Island viewpoint with friends Sheldon from HK and Claudia from Mexico. We also saw kangaroos and penguins.

This semester I have also found time to do some volunteering work. I have helped prepare and distribute meal packages to homeless people, took part in a litter pick in the parkland near the university, and will soon start a role with Save the Children. I am going to be helping children from less fortunate backgrounds with their homework, as well as doing other fun activities such as baking after school!

Student on top of a mountainTwo students at the coastTwo students jumping in the air on top of Mount Wellington

Thank you to Kiana for sharing these words and photos from her time abroad.

If you would like to talk to Kiana about her experience in more depth, please reach out to [email protected] and we can put you in touch. She would be more than happy to help!