After a terrific study abroad experience at the College of William & Mary last spring break through our First Abroad programme, our First Abroad scholars – Amie Morrison and Sarah Ramage – returned to St Andrews to take on internships roles. One of their tasks was figuring out what tips study abroad students would give to prospective study abroad students in order for them to have the best experience possible. Here are the results!
Top 10 Study Abroad Recommendations/Tips
- Make friends with other international students who are undergoing the same experiences.
- Make an effort to put yourself out there and form friendships.
- Attend events set up specifically for international exchange students.
- Join clubs and societies in your study abroad institution.
- Make sure you understand the new academic requirements and grading system.
- Don’t be afraid to approach staff for help.
- Say yes to every opportunity that comes your way – you never know where it might take you!
- Take some time out to explore the new country.
- Make the most of any industry opportunities made available to you.
- Don’t forget to share all the fun you are having with your friends and family back home!
With these 10 tips, you are more prepared than ever to study abroad at universities all over the world, rich with different cultures and experiences that are on offer for YOU. If you have any other tips for prospective study abroad students, or want to share your amazing experiences of being a St Andrews student abroad, then send an email to email@example.com and we’ll post your stories to our social media or blog.