Lausanne: William’s Experience

Emma Gatrell
Friday 17 November 2023

William studies Art History and French and in his third year went to the University of Lausanne. Read all about his experience.

Going on a year abroad can be a daunting experience. It’s hard to know what to expect of a new country, and when my plane left the runway on my departure to Switzerland, the reality of being away for a year really began to sink in. I didn’t know when I’d next be back in the UK; I was going to have to become comfortable in a new language; and I needed to adapt to the new environment. On top of all this, I also wanted to do well in my studies. I had been warned that Swiss universities, including the Université de Lausanne, were notorious for their rigorous marking approach. As a result, I decided to sign up for a pre-semester French language course to get my French up to speed and to give me a chance to understand their teaching approach. This turned out to be a great move, as not only did my French improve but I also met students in similar positions to me, who ended up becoming some of my closest friends.

In those first few weeks, we were able to go down to the lake to swim and take in the lively atmosphere and the incredible mountain views. It wasn’t hard adapting to this environment. The University’s campus is also incredible. It is a bio-farm with grazing sheep, rewilded fields and patches of forest. I was lucky to be in a new accommodation called the Vortex that was amidst this amazing setting and only a 15-minute metro ride from the centre of Lausanne. The city is small but has plenty to offer in terms of trendy bars, good restaurants, and music. It’s also very well-
connected by trains, so I made it my goal to explore as much as possible. I visited most of the major cities with Bern, Zurich, and Lucerne all being highlights. I also spent as much time as possible in the mountains for hiking and snow sports. Going to the University’s chalet in Valais (the Glen Coe of Switzerland) with the Erasmus network was definitely a high point of the first semester. I also managed to join an Erasmus football team and we played weekly 6-a-side games and ended up winning the ‘championnat’ in both semesters.

It’s easy to remember all the good things, but there are always things that make life harder as well. Switzerland is expensive and although the SEMP grant (1900 CHF/ semester) helps, the costs still do add up (especially when you lose a rental ski). There were also times when the work really did build up, and in exam season students are practically hermetically sealed in the library. That said, it would have been boring if it had all been plain sailing; it’s the combination of the ups and downs that defined my year there and looking back, it is definitely what makes me smile the most.