Meet the New Global Office Intern: Emily

Emily Shearer
Wednesday 15 February 2023
Plaza de España, Seville
Plaza de España, Seville
Guadalquivir river, Seville
River Guadalquivir, Seville

Hi there! My name is Emily Shearer and I am a Fourth-Year student studying International Relations and Spanish. I am very excited to be sharing this post as the Global Office Intern for Semester Two, 2023. I’m really looking forward to assisting on a range of projects with international reach and helping both inbound and outbound students on their journeys. From a young age I have always had a passion for travel, and this was only heightened when I embarked on my own year abroad experience. 

In 2020-21 I had the opportunity to move to Seville, Spain to undertake a British Council English Language Assistantship, teaching English in a secondary school. Moving to a new country during a pandemic, where I didn’t know anyone, was certainly a daunting prospect. However, once I arrived, I never looked back, and it turned out to be the best year of my life.  

Living and working abroad, through both the challenges and highlights, offered me a huge amount of personal development. Not only did I get to greatly improve my Spanish and meet lots of fantastic people, I built up my resilience and confidence in ways that I didn’t expect. I also gained a year of invaluable teaching experience and got to immerse myself in a new way of life, had the chance to live in one of the most beautiful cities, and got to visit countless amazing places in Spain!  

Some of my favourite places (pictured in some of the photos here) included Seville’s beautiful Plaza de España, the cities of Granada, Malaga and Madrid, and stunning Costa de Sol towns like Nerja. 

Granada, Spain
Granada, Spain
Nerja, Costa de Sol, Spain

Thanks to the connections I made, since then I have been back to Seville several times, visiting friends, my current partner (who I met over there) and having even more new experiences. To anyone considering a study or work abroad experience – I urge you to do it! You never know what amazing things might await you.

If you have any questions about going abroad in general, or more specifically about my experiences abroad, please contact [email protected].