2021 Global Opportunities Festival
The Global Office is delighted to announce that we will be hosting our first annual Global Opportunities Festival throughout the month of October. We have been working with colleagues from around the University to bring together a variety of events for students and staff to promote the international opportunities offered at St Andrews. Events will be themed under different categories: Global Connections, Global Education and Global Research We will also be joined by speakers from partner universities and external organisations. If you would like to join one of the events listed below, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
- University of the Arctic (UArctic) network launch, 1-2pm on 13 October (Teams): The University of St Andrews was officially voted in as new member of the UArctic network in May of this year. UArctic is a network of universities, colleges, research institutes, and other organisations concerned with education and research in and about the North. This session will offer an overview of the research and teaching opportunities that this network offers for academic staff and PhD students. Representatives for the Scottish Government’s Nordic and Arctic Unit will also be joining the session to discuss the strategic relevance of engaging with the region. Colleagues interested in attending this event should contact email@example.com.
- Study Abroad Fair: The Global Office will be holding our annual Study Abroad Fair on Wednesday 13 October from 2-4pm. This year’s event will be hosted on Teams Live. There will presentations about our study abroad opportunities and how to apply at 2pm followed by the opportunity for students to ask questions and to chat with other St Andrews students who have studied and worked abroad before. At 3.30pm, there will be a presentation about finance and scholarships. We have created a space in Moodle where students (and staff) will be able to view materials from our partner institutions as well as presentations about study abroad opportunities within particular Schools. This module is called ‘Study Abroad Fair Materials 2021’ and is open to everyone at the University.
- University of Melbourne presentation, 9am on 14 October (Zoom): We are delighted to be working with our colleagues at the University of Melbourne to offer an information for students interested in studying at Melbourne in 2022-23. There will be short presentation about the programme followed by a Q&A session with staff from the Study Abroad Office at Melbourne.
- Speed meeting event for inbound and returning students, 1:30pm on 15 October: Event will be held at Sandy’s Bar and refreshments will be provided. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- ‘Spooky Stroll’ for inbound students, 5:15pm on 27 October (now full): A walk around some of the most historic, blood-soaked and generally spooky places on the University estate. The stroll begins at St Mary’s College, South Street. The stroll lasts around one hour and involves a 1 mile/1.6km walk, finishing at St Salvator’s College. There is a short section upstairs (with no alternative access) at the start, but we can easily run the whole tour at ground level – just let us know. For possible reserve places, please email email@example.com
- British Council Language Assistantships, 2pm on 14 October: The British Council offers paid English teaching placements abroad to students and graduates with UK/Irish/EU passports. Opportunities are available in Europe, Canada, China and Latin America. Teaching time is limited to 12-20 hours per week, allowing plenty of time to develop language skills and experience the local culture. This session will be targeted at students looking for opportunities for their WIYA year or for post-graduation, and will include a Q&A with students who have participated in the programme.
- How to find global opportunities, 1.30pm on 15 October: Hosted by Careers Adviser Amy Kinsman, we will discuss where to find opportunities both within and out with the University, how to source your own opportunities and how to make the most of your abroad experiences. Sign up on Careers Connect.
- Think Pacific , 1pm on 12 October: Think Pacific offers a unique volunteering opportunity in Fiji. Working in partnership with the Fijian Government, Think Pacific offer ethical volunteering opportunities during the summer vacation as well as online internships. Many St Andrews students have participated in the programme previously with very positive results and feedback.
- Project Trust, 1pm on 14 October: Project Trust has 50 years’ experience of providing Gap Year opportunities for young people. Since 1967, over 8000 Project Trust volunteers have challenged themselves, learnt about the world and discovered how to be a positive force within it. Opportunities are available in Asia, Africa and Latin America. This session will be targeted at students looking for opportunities for their WIYA (in Spanish-speaking countries) year or for post-graduation.
- Saints Volunteer, Stellenbosch , 2pm on 19 October: Saints Volunteer, Stellenbosch is an international coach development programme run for University of St Andrews students in partnership with Stellenbosch University in South Africa.
- Volunteer Zambia, 2pm on 21 October: Volunteer Zambia is an international sport programme run by the Wallace Group – a collaboration between leading UK universities that supports the work of Zambian sports NGO, Sport in Action.
- 2022 China Scholarship Council-University St Andrews PhD Scholarships, 1pm on 21 October (Teams): An information session for the next round of the CSC-St Andrews PhD Scholarships will be held on 11 Oct. New guidelines and timeline for 2022 entry will be circulated to Schools shortly. This session will give and overview of the selection process and eligibility criteria, as well as offer an opportunity for colleagues to raise any questions about the programme. The session is open to all staff; please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a meeting invite.
- PGR fieldwork session with demo of new tool, 2pm on 20 October (Teams): An information session to discuss pre-departure support and institutional processes for PGR students undertaking fieldwork outside of the University. The session will include an overview of how to use the new online tool to submit university travel requests, and there will be an opportunity for participants to raise questions. If you are interested in attending this session, please contact email@example.com.
- 2023 Emory University-University of St Andrews Collaborative Research Grants programme, TBC: To mark the launch of the third call of the Emory-St Andrews CRG, an information session will be held on 22 October. The Collaborative Research Grants programme fosters international research broadly. Part-time and full-time academic staff from all Schools and disciplines are encouraged to submit funding applications for innovative and sustainable projects built around collaborative research linking staff from the University of St Andrews and Emory University. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Europaeum Scholar Programme for PhD students, 4 November at 11:30. Are you interested in shaping the future of Europe? If so, and if you are a first/second year PhD student in Humanities or Social Sciences whose reseach relates to the study of Europe (broadly defined), this could be for you! The Europaeum Scholars programme is a world-class training programme which runs alongside your PhD. Scholars attend eight modules of 3-5 days’ duration, taken over two years at Europaeum member universities across Europe You will be able to connect your doctoral research with the policy world, gain insights into the complexity of policy making, interact with leading scholars and policy-makers; and learn how to work as a team (and what leading a team involves). Each student is fully funded by a scholarship covering all accommodation, travel, food and tuition. Sign up here for the St Andrews online information session on 4 November, or one of the open sessions on 8,9, 15, 16 & 18 November.