The Collaborations and Study Abroad Office invites entries to the annual photo contest for St Andrews students who are studying or working abroad in the academic year 2016-2017.
This is your chance to share your experiences of studying or working abroad!
“The two most engaging powers of [a photographer] are to make new things familiar and familiar things new.” William Thackeray
Each year, we release an updated edition of our study abroad brochure detailing the application process, new partnerships, student experiences and more. This year’s winning entry will feature on the front cover of the official Study Abroad brochure, and what’s more, we want you to come up with a new strap-line! The strap-line should be short and sweet, yet creative, and should be in the following format ‘Study Abroad: (insert strap-line).’ Your photo should reflect your learning and cultural experience wherever you may be and be suitable to be included in our publication.
We would like to see some photos which demonstrate your creativity and photographic talent! Please ensure that all of your entries are over 1000KB in size or we will not be able to consider them.
Who can enter?
All St Andrews students who are studying or working abroad as part of their degree programme in the academic year 2015-2016.
How to enter
Things to remember
- Come up with a creative strap-line suitable for use on our study abroad brochure, but please keep it short.
- Indicate in which country and institution your experience took place.
- Give a brief description of your photograph.
- Include your name and email address.
The deadline for submission of photographs is 5pm on 26 May 2017.
Rules of entry
- You must be an undergraduate student who is currently studying or working abroad as part of your degree course at the University of St Andrews.
- By entering the contest and completing the photo release form, you will be giving Collaborations and Study Abroad permission to use your photographs for publicity purposes, in publications and on our webpages.
- Photographs must be original and should be appropriate for use by the University in marketing activities.
- Please avoid taking close-up photos of children (under 16).
- Please identify anyone pictured in the photo and make sure you have their permission. Photographs of individuals (over 16) and groups of adults are acceptable, but if they are the main subject of a close-up photograph you must let them know that the photo may be used for publicity purposes, including University webpages.
- A maximum of three photographs may be submitted per student.
- Photographs must be submitted to the competition as detailed above and by the published deadline.
We look forward to seeing creativity and originality in your photographs! Good luck!
A short profile
Each year we ask our returning students to write a short (or long!) profile about their experience abroad. We would be really grateful if you would write up to 200 words about your experiences to accompany your photos. A first-hand account often gives future study and work abroad students the confidence to apply to our various programmes. Please email your profile to our study abroad intern (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with your photos.