Study abroad spotlight: The Netherlands

Samantha Lister
Friday 21 March 2014

Naomi, who studied Chemistry, worked in The Netherlands for a year.

Photo of Naomi who worked abroad in the Netherlands

“I spent my year abroad working in The Netherlands. I gained invaluable experience working in a Research and Development department which has really improved my CV. You see a lot of job adverts asking for previous experience and that was what I was able to gain during my year abroad.

It was really a unique experience; I felt valued as my project was something up and coming, so little research had been done on the subject and the company entrusted me with it. I advise anyone in Chemistry considering going on a placement year to just do it! It will be unforgettable and such an asset to your CV. It also helped me to decide what I would be interested in applying for once I leave university.

I made friends for life; I even visited one of them in France and met their family. The Netherlands itself was beautiful and the people are so different to the British. I went to a few concerts and festivals while I was there, and I can safely say I will attend these again in the future. They’re unlike any you will have been to in the UK, and definitely a must see if you go there. I was able to sample what it would be like to work away from home and I now know I will be applying for jobs all over the world when I graduate.”