What’s it like to study in France?

Monday 26 October 2020

France is one of the most popular Study Abroad destinations. There are currently undergraduate School Abroad opportunities at the Sorbonne, Sciences Po, Perpignan, Toulouse and the National Graduate School of Engineering Chemistry in Lille. More details on all such opportunities can be found here: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/csa-app/search.htm. We’re using this post to share the experiences of three St Andrews students who have been to France before!

Luke Stuart

Luke is a Chemistry student who spent his year at the Institute of Porous Materials in Paris.

“The entire experience has given me many memories which I will cherish forever. Paris is such a fantastic place to live. There is so much to do that you can fill almost every weekend exploring different parts of the city. On top of this, the city is extremely beautiful and offers an Instagram opportunity at every corner! I would definitely recommend studying abroad. I’ve learnt so much about adapting to new places and cultures, which will be invaluable for when the time comes to start my career.”

Sarah Emery

Sarah studies French, Italian and Spanish and spent the first semester of her WIYA (With Integrated Year Abroad) at the Sorbonne in Paris, before studying in Spain for her second semester.

“I spent my first semester abroad studying at La Sorbonne in Paris. It was a surreal experience being able to enter the historical campus in the 5th arrondissement as an enrolled student. I studied a great range of subjects there and greatly improved my French. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience, one that I will never forget!”

Alexander Smith

Alexander studies French and Arabic and also spent his WIYA in France. He worked as an English language assistant for the British Council – a common way for Modern Languages students to spend their year abroad.

“I spent my year abroad at the foot of the French Alps in Grenoble working in a lycée as an English Language assistant. I used my spare time to explore my region and I even tried skiing for the first time. I loved my time in France, it really is a unique experience getting to live and work abroad at such a young age!”