Studying in Europe – Austria

Samantha Lister
Thursday 8 September 2016

University of Vienna

I was fortunate enough to be offered a place to study abroad at the University of Vienna in the second semester of junior Honours. Initially, I was anxious about the prospect of not doing well academically, especially as my grades would count directly towards my final degree in St Andrews. However, this was quickly put to rest by another student who had just returned from Vienna and who gave me experienced advice when choosing modules and approaching members of staff at my host university. The support I received throughout my time in Vienna from the Collaborations and Study Abroad team, my year-abroad co-ordinator, and fellow Erasmus+ students was second to none.

Vienna itself is a historic and beautiful place to study German. The university celebrated its 650th anniversary in 2015 and offers a wide range of courses from Austrian History (1815 to the present day) to sociological courses on the rise of right-wing extremism in the wake of the refugee crisis.

What I enjoyed most about studying in Vienna was the the opportunity to live abroad for a semester of my degree. The Austrians describe Vienna as “gemütlich”, which means homely and comfortable, and that is precisely what it is; a beautiful city in a beautiful country that makes for a refreshing break from Fife.

Hector (studied English and German)